Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Rough Month

Still no word on my living arrangements past February, other than a home with four other people.  It's not something I look forward too.  I need to start packing.  It must get done!  However, I have added a few more models to my collection since the end of December.  There's a significant improvement one one, and the other was brand new.

So, the heavies are the green guys.  I have another set painted from my earlier days, but if you take a look at them you'll see that they're quite messed up.  They were heavily glossed over to hide a terrible matt job I did that left snow like specs all over it.  So instead, I glossed them out in the baking sun and heh, what do ya know!  Black paint absorbs sunlight well and cause bubbles on their shoulder pads!

Oh how I've learned since then.

Now they're looking pretty sleek though, and I really think I'm getting a bit better at them.  The bases too are starting to look excellent as well.  I've finally found a good brown, tan mix with a touch of white on the tips that works out well.  If I feel it's too bright, I wash it all down with a watered out brown.  In the end, the results are great!

I have to say too, I'm a little ashamed of the photo's at the moment.  I'll need to learn exactly where it's best to have the camera's aperature setting at when I take shots.  I don't want it too closed, or I don't get the blurry back ground.  Too open however, and feh, I get blury guys at the side.

However, that does not apply when it comes to the Chaplain of the Space Marines!  He on the other hand really shines in the photos.  He was a lot of fun to paint, but I do hate the color black.  That just happens to be what it is that chaplains where.  Emo space marines.

The parts that didn't come out so great on the Chaplain were the high lighted ridges for the most part. Those are, the blue grey bits on the armor edges that you'll see there.  That was a royal pain and I've yet to learn a way to do that properly.  Time will improve that, it's needed on all my marines really.

However, I have to say I really like his cloth/paper bits.  That is to say the thing draping over his belt and along his back almost like a long dress like loincloth!  That was a lot of fun to paint and I think I did reasonably well.  It's just layers of lighter brownish whites and then I went over it all with watered down brown.

The reds were a blast too.  Next time I'll try a blue wash to fill in the cracks, this time I did black.  Black looks nice, but blue compliments and shadows red better.  However, it's not bad the way it is now.  I did this to all the little red emblems all over his armor.

Lastly, the gold was a lot of fun this time.  I don't know if it turned out all that well but I think I'm slightly getting use to this.  I've been pondering about adding some brown washes to my gold just to give them darker recesses and possibly make them look a bit tarnished, but maybe on another model.

So there you have it.  That's what I've done of late.  There's something else too but I just don't have the photos of it now.  I'll get around to it eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment