Monday, May 10, 2010

EVE, A Game About Space Ships!!!

While I wait for that day to come, when the letter comes in that says "Hey, Greg! You're going to Canada!" I bide my time trying to find things to occupy my mind. In a way, games do that for me, and they do it well. My apologies for talking about a game rather than art, but seriously, I'm bored in my little paid for cardboard box in Norway. Lately I've been far more active in an old game known as EVE, and I've finally after several years found my way out into the more dangerous and law-less regions. Let me tell you, it was scary at first.

I've joined a group of rag tag  group known as the Star Fraction, and my stay with them so far has been rather enjoyable! 0.0 space is definitely scary, though I'm proud to say in my time out there, I've yet to lose a ship. This isn't me being cocky, but it is me being proud to know when to bug out if it's not looking good, as others have lost expensive things. I know, my time will come when I'm snagged by an invader and put to shame in my little pod.

Something that has been a bit striking is the level of roleplay I have found here. The Star Fraction is actually a group of human revolutionist up against slavery as far as I see it.  It's absolutely excellent I think, and even better, their actions they take in game actually mean something! Recently even, they found out another RP group were going to hold a memorial to a man that turned and attacked slavery trying to free people of a race, but the group holding this in game service seemed to [at least recently]  support corporations that actually make use of slaves! So, the Star Fraction declared war and came party crashing, and in a spectacular RP way between both corporations. In any game I've played, RP is only words and rarely is it any kind of meaningful action. This, was a treat. Even better, CCP, the company that runs the game, posted up a news article of it I believe on the log in page.

Most know that I'm a heavy WoW player, and once upon a time raid leader to get an eye on how raiding is actually performed. EVE 0.0 has been quite a treat. I know EVE players like to gripe about people needing to go back to WoW when they fail, but, there are a lot of similarities between WoW and EVE group wise. The Fleet Commander is practically the same role as the Raid Leader between games, and the same issues occur. People don't shut up, others have a better idea than the rest, and the likes. I chuckle a little every time I see these similarities.

The big difference however, is that threats and boasting ... mean something. Unlike many other games, we really control a small sector of space, and we spend billions of in-game money to upgrade and make that system a valuable asset. We set rules, we follow them, and it's freaking cool to be out there and say "Ya, I helped with this!" Granted, I didn't help /that/ much but, I'll gladly defend it when I'm about!

Anyhow, this game is absolutely amazing and beautiful. It's really sad that it doesn't honestly shine until you've joined up with a group of people and are zipping around out in deep space doing all this other stuff. A real shame. It's the biggest thing EVE has to offer I think. Amusingly enough it has a lot of niches to fill. I think the hardest hurdle for any new player is just learning how the game works and honestly finding some niche in the game that interest them and pursue it. That's the only advice I can give a newbie. Try things, play with the game, and try to find out what there is in there that you'll find enjoyable. Most importantly, FIND FRIENDS. You'll only spiral into a drain of frustration if you don't find anyone worth while to play with out there in that vast open space.

Fly safe!  o7







2 comments: