Saturday, June 11, 2011

Nightwings

Aeronautica Imperialis, is the new game around the office. Well, maybe not the office. It's the new game between my friend and me now. He arrived from Norway, and said "Greg! Look at this new awesome game! Yes! Planes! MUST PLAY! PLAY NOW! MUST NOW PLAY!" So, what did I do? I dumped money into airplanes! So here I have 3 eldar planes. There were 4, but you see, this monster by the name of ghost swiped one from the skies and devoured it! Ok, maybe not devoured, more like bat it around the house, removed its wings and tail fins, and was in the process of trying to get the elf inside but I stopped him before that. So, we have three.
Forgeworld has some weird resin. It's really good, and detailed, but I find it annoying and hard to work with. When I received the packages in the mail, I'd found that most of the wings were bent or curled, as were the tail fins of the fighter. These kinds of things don't make me happy. In fact, it still annoys me to no end, that these fighters you see here, have wings that are shaped differently, on the same plane! For a guy who likes things perfect, this drives him nuts! But, I assembled it and moved on any way.

Assembly is kind of an odd thing with these planes. The mold actually has a top half, and a bottom half. So I took advantage of this and drilled a hole in between, and added a magnet. It's kind of nice, because you'll never know there's a magnet in this thing!

So with this guy, I learned that I really hate the color yellow. Well, first I put on blue and that went pretty easy. Blue is a nice color, you see. It has plenty of pigment in it that when painted on a surface, it generally doesn't show the color behind it and it often paints on nice and smooth! Often, I say. Ya, yellow? Yellow hates me. And I hate it too! Fair enough! Yellow, you stroke on and it creates messy and gaudy lines all over the place. It doesn't go on smooth, and help me god when it does go on smooth, you can see the black behind it! Argh! Yellow, yes you, screaming yellow, you make me scream!

Still, I got it on there. It looks nice now. Well, lets say acceptable really. With a little bit of yellow brown wash, they came out even better.

Something of a bit of surprise, although it shouldn't be at all, is that the highlights really brought out this plane a lot more than I expected it too. So I painted the color on flat as it were, and helped to darken deeper spots with a wash. However, the thing that really brought it all out, are those high lighted edges. They make it look that much more fantastic.

Once again, I really need to thank my mom for this fantastic light box she picked up for me. I had my friend over while I was taking these pictures, and even he noted that they look ten times more fantastic in this light box than on the table. It really helps! I noticed that my light box has a blue mat too, which of course, makes it ideal for the planes ;) I'll have to paint up some more! I have 2 large bomber planes, and two small fighter bombers to do. Though right now, my eye is turning toward my Tau units.

No comments:

Post a Comment