Wednesday, September 28, 2011

An Elven Druid

This was another commission for a friend of mine. They wanted an elf painted up, and when I looked at the model, I said "Sure, probably easy enough to do! There doesn't seem to be that much complex about her, just know that I don't really know how to do skin tones that well." Which, is true, and that was the learning experience for this model, among a few other things I came across when it showed up at my work place.

There wasn't any putting together to be done, she simply needed to be cleaned, and so I went about doing that. Diligently, I cleaned off any flash and stuff that wasn't suppose to be there. Easy. I then sprayed her down with a white base, which was also pretty easy. The biggest hiccup though was her nose. I didn't realize until after I started painting her face, that the model didn't come with a nose! So yes, I had to frantically figure out how to do something about that, because with out that little feature, she looked silly. With a touch of green stuff, I added one, but this was really hard because the girl is SOOOO SMALL! I mean seriously, I was working with a blob of this clay that couldn't have been bigger than a needle point! And even /that/ looked to big. If that wasn't enough, several times when I got the shape I wanted, I accidentally smashed her nose! So I had to start from again.

Ya, so that was the biggest issue with this model. Reaper Mini's, NOT IMPRESSED!!!

Aside from that, I found out what colors to use to make the really nice looking leather! That was a lot of fun. So ya, her shoulder pieces and her wrist guards were painted with that more reddish color, making use of highlights that were more of a tan color. This was a happy and proud moment of mine.

The other thing I learned too, is that I really love painting on white. Like, it's freaking brilliant for those models that are suppose to sort of glow with color! I'm really looking forward to doing more of that. White spray however, seems to be a lot harder to keep than black spray. This makes me a bit sad, actually. So I need to probably sit down with my spray cans and clean them out a bit, get them in better shape. I remember a friend of mine mentioning I should really turn the cans upside down every time I finish with them, and spray until I can't see the color anymore. It's the best way to clear the nozzle and the pipe.

Anyway! Right, elf! Next, to post something on the Kroot I just finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment