Thursday, September 1, 2011

Autarch, Space Elf Badass.

Well, I'm going to call him done. I mean, he looks done to me. I really hate taking pictures of my stuff some times though, as that's when I can see a lot of problems. Sigh, I'm going to have to go back and fix his head dress. I swear I hold the thing as lightly as possible and paint STILL falls off the thing. Growl! Oh well.

So anyway, finished. This guy was a lot harder than I thought, and took me more time than I thought I'd take. I'm hoping I can call him done for now, but my friend will tell me what he thinks first. It took me some time to figure out how to do the high lights, and I'm not sure I'm happy with them. I look at the model picture and it's way different. Funny note, the blue I'm using seems to be morphic. Ya that's right, it changes. Both Graeme and I have noticed, that when painting with it, at times we think it's darker, and other times we think it's lighter! We can't figure out why it does this, but it does! He painted up 5 dire avengers using the stuff, and four of them look fine, while the last one looks darker. Go figure! =D


I think my "prize" awesome thing on this model is the cloak. I'm actually really happy with how that thing came out. I tried to do a bit of the shading stuff, and I think that worked very well. It took many layers of turqoise with other blues to achieve.

If there was anything else I could point out as an achievement, I'd have to say the gems are next. They look pretty fantastic on this model actually, and finally deep like they should be. A very satisfying feeling.

The only real issues I have with this model is simply the armor color and high light, as well as the shadows for the blue. I guess on the wings, the blue shadows look ok, but on the helmet it just looks too iluminated. Same goes for the rocket launcher. I dunno! So, meh!

This is one of the new resin models as well. I have mixed feeling about the resin models. They are certainly far better and easier to assemble compared to metal models, but man they are not easy to paint. In a sense, this guy felt incredibly lumpy and terrible in that regard. Maybe, in my opinion, he looks a little rough and rugged in places and on patches of armor where I'd expect him to be more I dunno... smooth. Like the helmet.

Anyhow, for now he's done until I'm told to make adjustments. He needs grass, but Graeme is going to put the decals on him first. Once that's been done, we'll seal him up and put the grass on next. Shouldn't be to hard. I can also hand paint a few more decals onto him where desired, so just let me know.

From here, I move onto doing another elf, but one that's practically naked. We'll say she's more in line with fantasy than 40k, or anything warhammer related. I'm going to see if I can learn a few lessons from her. The first being, I'm going to base paint her white and work my way up from there. I'm hoping this will help give me the high lights and better flesh tone, but we'll see. I don't imagine her to be a hard thing to paint. I've even set her up with mushrooms on her base =) So those will be fun to paint up too! This is the first time I've added anything hand made to a base... er... no wait... I did create that entire cliff for the flying horse. Nevermind. =P First time in a long while!!!

After that, I have a dragon to paint! I haven't painted one of them in a LONG long time. I'm really excited actually! I've been fantasizing about getting a small podium block for him, and making a proper large base so he can be a very nice desk piece! That and trying to decide on how to decorate this "diorama" as they're called! He's suppose to be a swamp dragon, so I may have to experiment with making water and try my hand at a few tree trunks and stumps. So, we'll see how far I go on that. It's a pewter model, so it's going to be a bitch to assemble. Stupid freaking heavy wings! I'm definitely looking forward to it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment