Sunday, August 14, 2011

Drones for the Greater Good

I've created a squadron of drones now. Six of them little buzzing things. They remind me of an old movie called "Batteries Not Included." Well, they kind of remind me of it. Whatever! They're all painted up now and ready to fight for the greater good! Whether they register such logic or not.


So I learned that using Heavy Ocher as a base, works really well with the vomit brown stuff. I'm really wishing I'd used that earlier on the fire warriors. Sure, the fire warriors came out "ok" but, they could have been better if I'd not been stupid and used the wrong undercoat. Oh well, live and learn, and make the next batch better! Other than that, that's all I really learned to do with these guys. They were a test bed to make sure I didn't screw up similarly colored objects. Mission accomplished.

I know, they look kinda silly a few of them. It's really annoying when you take pictures, and that's when you realize all the minor flaws in their design. Like for instance, some of the stands are entirely verticle. I don't think it will matter much though, as I can easily turn the drone on top and it will just make it look like they're rushing off faster to their death's! ... for the greater good, of course.

Something else I did that I'll have to do for future Tau units, is that I painted in some develin mud into the crevices. This really helps them look much better, or more defined. I will keep this in mind for future generations to come, like broad sides... mmmmm... delicious iconic battle suits with rail cannons...

So, non model painting related, I also learned of a new feature on my camera, which will allow me to go with out a light shining at the front of my models and suddenly I can use my flash! I learned how to control the brightness of my flash thanks to Graeme, and this will make it far easier to take pictures of them. Granted, now you can see little shadows in the background of my shots, but still, the desired effect is incredibly nice and I'm very grateful he alerted me to this feature!

So ya, enjoy these guys and their awesomness! They'll be coming to a war gaming table near you at some point. Or well, near work, if you live in Montreal! I'm hoping in the future I might be able to help host some pictures of things my friends are making! I'm teaching one guy how to do stuff, and his eldar are coming out pretty fantastic! I'm impressed =) We'll just have to see if they are camera shy or not ;) They are elves after all.




1 comment:

  1. These look fantastic! They're definitely an inspiration for my newly acquired Tau Battle Force.

    ReplyDelete