Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ork Trukk!


Hey! So it's been a real long time since I've posted anything here lately. I've been incredibly bogged down and hit one of those creative road blocks after a recent bigger project finished. It left me absolutely drained! October was a KILLER month for me creativity wise. November, I just chilled out and played games for a change, and worked on this one little by little. Sorry it took SO LONG Matias. That's my bad. I hope what I have here though is awesome, and you'll love it.

As always, these things are a learning experience. Each and every one of them were. One of the things I wanted to play with, was making something that didn't look so "clean." So when Jorgen came to me with the idea to put together some Ork stuff for Matias's birthday, I was all "yay!" about it. This is definitely not my cleanest model! Even my Tyranids are a bit cleaner! Granted, it's not as dirty and rugged as Jorgen's is either. I carved out some extra chips here and there in the plastic, and painted them all gun metal as if the ding was taken in battle. I think they came out really well.

The other thing I tried to make it a little dirtier with, is through the washes. This vehicle has a heavy dousing of washes on it. I'm particularly happy with the metal bits, as I quite literally took black and watered it down heavily before applying. I put on several coats, being sure to make those areas dark. Secondly, I found that you could add more than one coat to darken some bits of metal as opposed to others. I also let some of the dark splotches "pool" to create a few stains. In the end, I'm happy with the outcome.

The last real bit of detail is just the simple dry brush, which really brings out the nuts and bolts of the vehicle. They also make the edges look better on the red in my opinion, as the vehicle looks far more worn.

I'm happy with my reds and yellows though. These are two colors that are often a real headache to get on right. Often they get runny and terrible, and you can see through to the color below. Though having learned a bit of what to put under those colors to help them look better and smoother, has been a real help. So for the yellow, I'm using a base tanish yellow color that goes on smooth and strong, and the reds I have a base paint for it too that's heavy and easy to put on. They're darker then the colors you see on the vehicle now, but in the end it really helps out.

So yay! Now to figure out how to get this to work! And then, to tidy up some other projects and make them the best they can be. I'm starting to get into a bit of costuming, and finding it a real joy. Once I produce something I feel is worthy to put up, I'll consider it =D

3 comments:

  1. Wow, nice work man! It may be an odd detail, but I really love the color of those armor plates on the wheels! :D And the front bumper looks stunning too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome gift, of course I'm happy with them - looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, people are posting here =D <3

    Thanks! Actually the dirt on the teeth of the bumper was a last minute thing. I'm really glad I take photo's of these guys, because I honestly get to take a second look at it and go "Oh man that's ugly! I'm totally not doing that!" and then I go back to the table and paint some more. If not for that... Well... Fail. I should probably write about that in the next blog.

    ReplyDelete