Thursday, October 11, 2012

Shield Drones

I bought a small shield drone pack before leaving for Colorado some months back, and just now got around to fixing them up. They went pretty smooth, and I'm really glad I had an airgun on hand to help with the white. It's amazing how clean that airgun get's these light colors onto a model, leaving no brush strokes. I do learn every time though that patience IS required. You can't just lay it on. You do a bit and rest. Let the paint dry... then do a bit more until it's the proper color. Just take your time and you'll do wonders.



Again, these were resin kits. I can't begin to tell you how much I hate these things. The bottoms of the drones are "OK" but definitely not high quality. A lot of the pointy bits are broken, contain bubbles that exploded inside of them, or are literally a mess. They're OK here, and I'm sure people won't see them when they look at the model... unless of course they look at it really closely. It'll do for a cheap disposable shield drone. The other thing that is noticeable though, is the fact that the antenna's are just not all the same orientation. They're all bent just a little bit, and no amount of straightening was going to make them perfect on my end. Fed up, I just put them on there and hoped for the best.

I actually didn't think about decals until after I'd sealed everything. I may return and do that, but for now this works. I'm quite happy with the shade of white and the way they look. I learned, don't use black paint to do the cracks. Get a thin brush and do a black wash pass on all the cracks. The wash will fill in and match up on the lines well. If you do not have a wash, water down some black and try that. But go for the wash, it's designed to want to exist in the cracks and crevices of the model and will do  just that.

That's all! These were quick to make, not even a day's time really. Stupidly simple. Wish I could have gotten a better image of the lenses. I made them blue, since they're shield drones. My attack drones are red. =) Color matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment