Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Eldar Wraithlord.


First off, I'd like to say that I fixed the issue on my blog that didn't let people post at the bottom, so, please do! =)

So, over the past two weeks actually, I've been slowly trying to piece together an Eldar Wraithlord.  As stated in a previous post, a good friend is leaving us where I work and I thought this was likely the best gift I could give =)  Anyhow, it went to Graeme!

It was a new learning experience too, and those are always welcome!  For this, I learned how to go about using gloss, and what to watch for.  Namely, putting to much gloss on!  That's some tricky stuff, for the first time I did it, I didn't realize I'd put to much on and it dribbled down one of the cloth pieces.  Sad was I.  The rest of it came out really well though and it was a lot of fun!  The pictures came out amusingly enough, as they seem to create little star shines on the edges!  I thought that was a fun side effect.

I learned the actual need for proper planning when building these guys as well; or building in general really.  I unfortunently glued those wings on the back of the body before painting them, and in retrospect, should have painted them seperately.  This would have resulted in better details around the wing joints and possibly better control on the gems.  Live and learn.


The last thing that was truly entertaining to learn and do, was the patch work detail on the blue armor itself!  I didn't think it would turn out that great, and actually still think it could use some lighter patches in order to match that which is in the book.  However, friends have told me they really like how subtle the patches are, so I'll leave it at that.

I seriously need to start learning how to do decals.  If he keeps the model at the office, I may "dare" to try it within the week.  There won't be more pictures if I do, just, it's there for me to try it or not.  I do want to focus on my level design work though.  I'm nearly finished with my first level.  It has tons of details in it [though no where near the quality of other UT3 levels] and I'm getting the items in and hopefully the light!

I must say, my design process on the level didn't go as it should.  I mocked up the lay out and put in the weapon elements.  Played around with that a bit and liked it for the most part... and went straight to detailing!   Dumb dumb dumb!  But, I was excited =)  It's looking great now, and I'm looking forward to show it off soon!

Anyhow!  Shout out to Graeme!  A great guy, a great creative thinker, lots of fun and splendid to work with!  Keep in touch =)


1 comment: