Sunday, December 6, 2009

Eldar Wraithlord, Completed


I've been holding onto this guy for a while.  Bought on November 5th, and bogged down with so many other things to do, it's taken me some time to get to this guy.  I've also finished 8 genestealers as well, but I've yet to get pictures of them to place up on this blog.  I'll do that, eventually.  Just need to bring my camera stand to work so I have a stable platform to take the shots needed.  I kind of wanted to show off the entirety of the two armies I have sitting there at my desk.

Anyhow, this one is finished.  Appologies for the crummy pictures, but the Norwegian light is all but gone these days and the clouds cover the skies often threatening to snow but never do.  When I get to Canada, I hope to have a proper light studio for this stuff!

So this little project was done for Chris Proctor as a birthday gift.  He plays as Eldar in Dawn of War 2, and he has his own color scheme.  I tried my best to match it and I think I've done it with the armor color!  To my surprise, that bit looks nice.  It didn't take long to figure out what colors to combine to get it.  The high lights could have used a little more work, but it's good.  Let me throw up an image of the screenshot used for this.

As you can tell, the game has a lot of bloom in it, and I think Chris really had it turned up!  I sadly, couldn't match the white pieces of his character.  Or well, in the screenshot they're sort of a goldish color, but I chalked it up to bloom making them look as shiny as they were.  I tried a few things, but nothing was really working out and nothing looked good.  So, sorry Chris =(  My artist eye took over and said "Make it awesome looking as most standard Eldar look and scrab the experimental shiny silvery head pieces."  I just couldn't make them look good enough to be acceptable.


Something new I tried was laying down a light grey base paint on all the parts that are meant to be white.  This worked out well for me compared to the last Eldar I worked on a while back.  With that base of light grey, I was able to layer on the white and make it look fantastic and solid.  This made me quite happy!


As you can see, there's also decals added to the helm and the cloth.  These are hand painted from the patterns that came with the box.  I've never been very succesful at doing tatoos that come with the box.  Don't know why, but when I peel the plastic off it usually leaves the icon broken some how.  So, thankfully, Eldar symbols are very simple and easy to do.  Granted, my hand wasn't too steady, I'm just going to have to work on that.

Eldar Wraithlords are complicated models.  Again, building the legs and all of that was extremely hard!  Especially the way I tend to build my models.  I like to build them in pieces, and so when they're all painted up, they're harder to put together.  Legs, I generally put together in one go, and it's hard to see how the model is going to stand when it's in pieces.  Not to mention, you have to glue it all together and hold it in a pose you like.  Gah, it's hard to explain, just let it be known I've yet to figure out a good way to paint these walkers and I'm quite happy with the Dreadnoughts in the Space Marine army!  They're easier and fun! =)

Ah well.  Hopefully this was a fun look at a newly completed model!  Hope the new owner is a fan of it, despite some of the modifications!  I'm sure he will be =)

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome, I look forward to it kicking arse on my desk :D

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete