Saturday, April 23, 2011

An Adventure in Terrain

And so I take an adventure into terrain building. This actually wasn't all that hard, and I'm pretty excited about how it came out. Not to shabby really! I have new ideas for sandbags, you'll see those improve as I continue to build minor elements like this. These pieces of terrain will be used in matches at the office hopefully. Simple elements to the battle field we'll be fighting across with our painted army men. Or well, at least mine will be painted!
So where to start? The barrels and the ammo crate are premade items I put together and placed out, but the sand bag walls I made out of Sculptey. I've got a few more ideas for next time, I think I'll design each bag individually and lay them on top of each other. I hope that actually works, and they'll hopefully look a lot more like little bags! As it is, they don't have a lot of texture and kind of look like marshmellows laid out on top of each other. It works, but it's not perfect! I like perfection!

My first hurdle was the ground. I bought some nice stiff board, or so I thought, but as soon as I stuck glue on there with sand, the entire thing began to curl. I kind of worked with it and uncurled with it by wetting the other side, but still, it's not level now. This makes me a little sad. However, having talked about my perils with the GW shop, I've found a new kind of board I'll try on the next piece of terrain I build. It's thicker sadly, and I was hoping to not have such a great lip for the edge of the terrain, but it'll do.

The barrels were food fun, as was the ammo case. Really, it was just simple army green with a bit of white for the highlights, and then a drench of darker green to get them to come out as they did. I'm quite happy. I might try some rusty red barrels next time I do this though, just for some variety. I guess it really depends on the piece I'm working on.

Silly me though! I've been looking at this going "Something's missing, what's missing." Can you figure it out? Huh, huh? Ya, where the heck is the grass!?!?!? Bahhhhh! Well, it's not to late! I can add that grass on still! I also need to coat it in a matt prime to keep it settled.

Either way, it's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment