Monday, April 18, 2011

Eldar Group Complete

So I finished the four of them. They were quite a challenge, each and every one of them. Robes are a new thing for me, though I'm getting better with each and every attempt. Apparently you pick up a style with some colors I guess. For my reds, my style seems to be firey or drastic color changes. This is at least what the games workshop guy told me, so I tried something different. Or more, what he told me to try out.
I still think they look kind of fiery, but that's ok. They still look fairly cool. So here they all are, in a nice little line, waiting for a space marine to shoot them ;)

I've slowly been becoming more comfortable with using more watered down paints than I'm use to. To some degree, these guys probably still have a little to much. I suppose on this blog, it's the red guys who are knew so I'll talk about them the most.

White helmets are still rough as well, but I've figured out a few more things for them. It's just going to take practice to get them right. So, in all the pictures I see, there's often blue, or a blue-ish grey being used as a shadow. I could never get this right. I'd try to do things with a blue wash, as that's how I normally shadow other colors, but you can't do that with white. So, the process is different, and the process I've found seem to require more skill and not so shaky fingers. Paint the entire head a kind of grey that already has a bit of blue to it. I used wolf grey from the Vallejo set, I'm sure other sets have similar. After that, I'd try to very lightly paint on the pure white in a very thin way and layer it out towards the higher spots from the recesses. This time I don't think I did the best job ever, but next time I know a bit more and I can certainly try again!

I still don't know how they get the stencils on there. Several have told me that you just need to just be really careful with a really fine point brush, and just repeat it over and over and over again. You eventually get good at it, and can put in more detail. Until then, my little scratch marks work. It's just the start of learning how to do this part of things. The larger symbols are ok, though I think from now on I'll dictate that they will always be straight up and down. I put an angle in the blue and red one because the robes were disturbed and flowing. I don't honestly think they need to be angled though, and they look kind of messy that way.

Just a note, those artist DEFINITELY do not use a paint pen to do the etchings. I spent 20 dollars on that, and they're not going to be used. At least, not for little men. Maybe vehicles if I get to make any of them.

The last note worthy thing I learned was a good way to make their swords. It's not exactly what I wanted, but I'm pretty freaking happy how these turned out compared to the awkward purple things I had before. Just look a few blog's back to find them. The pictures are still there! They're hideous! No no, these new ones look great! Like stone and as one friend state, cold and cruel. Kind of what I was going for. Well, I was going for crackling with energy but, I'll take that too ;) I'm quite happy with them!

2 comments:

  1. These are looking really good!
    I like how you've done the blades of the weapons.

    With the stencils, couldn't you just print it out really small, cut away the bit you want to paint, put the paper over the area you want to paint and paint it to avoid going outside the lines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly, not sure how to put the paper over it properly to do that. I could give it a try though.

    ReplyDelete