Monday, April 18, 2011

Speed Paint!

This is Kroxigan. He's a lizard creature I'm playing in a D&D campaign. I haven't gotten to use him much yet, but I mean, he's a dragon wizard! So therefore, he's awesome inherently. After just one game, I've already bought myself a model and painted him up for the group game that happens every other Tuesday. I think he came out pretty cool! I suppose next, I'll need to paint myself a space wolf assault marine for the other game I play in. I'm in way to many games D=
This guy was a fun experiment? I'm not sure how to put it. I sat down basically and told myself, "Alright, I'm going to get this guy done by the evening!" So, like many artist I know, I'm calling this a speed paint. Granted, speed painting him took me from 4PM to 9PM, but still, I think he came out pretty awesome for 5 hours of work.

My first challenge however, was getting him to stand up right. Required the use of a tweaser and a good bit of bending the base. Once that was done though, it was 10 or 15 minutes getting his base coat on, which was black.

I started with the scales first, and mostly because I knew I was going to dry brush those, and they looked pretty close to a lot of other things that I didn't want to paint up and accidentally dry brush on top of. Dry brushing is a messy technique [I'm not even sure it's a good one, professionals claim to paint every detail on! Who knows!] So I painted his scales a dark blue, followed by a blue, and then a wash of blue and light grey. This set him up pretty good. Gave him some high lights and shadows that I approved of and didn't take much time. Once at this point, I grabbed my dry brush and mixed some electric light blue with white, and worked over the entire model to give it those extreme and nice high lights! Nearly happy, I finished it off with a dark blue wash to really fill in the shadows and give it a good consistent look. I'm pretty happy with how his scales turned out in the end.

From there, I did the robes. He's a bit tribal, so I wanted to stick to plane colors. Nothing fancy. I painted his robes a scorched brown, followed by a bit of that brown mixed in with bleached bone. This made up the majority of the cloth. With a bit of white added to that, I dry brushed on the highlights. What really makes a robe however, are the washes added to it all. I simply used the gryphon wash from Games workshop mixed with a bit of the bleached bone and scorched earth mix. Put that on generously, and you have yourself some nicely shaded robes!

The rest is pretty drab, that was most of the interesting stuff really. I'm still considering putting some purple wash on the gold bits, but we'll get to those when I feel like it. I have new and exciting projects though. I'm learning to make terrain! So this should be exciting. The first two pieces I've made look great so far! The only issue I have currently is that the board I put it all on seems to curl when I spread glue over the top. I'll need to find something stiffer to stick it on I suppose. Oh well. I was hoping to avoid anything too thick like thin sheets of wood. If anyone has any good suggestions, I'm all ears!

3 comments:

  1. That's a speed paint?!? Looks AWESOME man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course he's a dragon wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What else did you expect, Al... =P I'd kinda like to be a Dragon Warrior though. Much more in love with melee =)

    ReplyDelete