Monday, July 30, 2012

The last of the Kroot

This is it, the last four kroot for my kroot squad. That makes 12 of the suckers. I will probably buy another 12, or 24 in the future, but for now, this works and this is good enough. Kroot are a lot of fun to paint and I really enjoy them. The style is a lot like the Tyranids and you're allowed to be a little sloppy and they still come out looking as good as ever. So they make me happy, unlike armor which when it comes out good looking is definitely awesome, but takes so much more work to accomplish.



 The only thing I really tried to accomplish with these guys, was to get them done fast. So I spent all of Sunday trying to do them as fast as I could to get them done so that I would have time for other projects of mine. I started at about 1 PM, maybe 1:30, and worked up until about 2 AM. Now, do realize there was cooking in between and visit from a friend for the other costuming project I have going on! She took about thirty minutes time to go over that. I also discovered another really good TV series, which I know I started before but never got around to finishing or watching more of. Heroes, was really cool. This of course hinders the painting process with minor distractions.

I actually find that doing the washes is the part of the job that takes a long time. I'll often put one on, and then I'll wait a good 10 or 20 minutes to be sure it's dry. If you try to do anything too early, you end up causing lots of ugly things to happen. I also tried for the first time, GW's new washes. They're nice, they definitely get into the cracks, and I think I could probably use a lot less of them than I'm use to. That, or I should probably really water them down. I didn't because the GW guy said I didn't have to with these [which they said I didn't have to with the others but someone taught me wiser.] Next time, I'll definitely lighten it.

I also found I got a little lost while painting. I put on the greens, I did the high lights and it was fantastic, and then I put on the wash and it was like all my highlighting work was gone. So frustrating! Easily fixed, but still annoying! So I had to grab the lighter green and dry brush the highlights on. Maybe this really helps and I just don't know it yet, but oh well. It worked out for the better anyway.

By the way, for anyone working on troops, you should really try this. Just do a 3rd of them at a time. Then do something cooler like an HQ or a vehicle or something. Then do a 3rd more, and another HQ or something cool. It goes by like nothing and you learn more as you go. I think it worked out well here, and I don't think they look inconsistant at all. This will also not wear you out. I find I make far more mistakes working on my guys all at once, where as this time there were far fewer mistakes. [I've missed ENITIRE arms before when doing 10+ guys at a time.]

So, this is sadly the last you'll see from me for a little while. I'm going on vacation after next weekend and won't be back until around the 16th or so. Bummer, I know. Off to Otakuthon, and then another convention out in Denver to show off costume craftiness, as well as visiting family. Busy weeks up ahead. I'll be returning with loot though. 4 battle suits. One to be a commander, 2 to be broad sides, and 1 to be a standard issue magnetic mix up to go with the other one I have. So I guess that will be my next project. That and I have some Super clean so I can strip the paint off one of my Pirahnas and give that another try. So, until then! See yous!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment